For a meaty treat the whole family can share and enjoy together, this Slimming World recipe is perfect! Serve your meatloaf with a tangy tomato and chilli jam for a lovely summery flavourLike us on Facebook
IngredientsFor the jam
- 500g ripe tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 red chillies, deseeded (optional)
- 2cm cube of root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6-8 tbsp sweetener
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- Low-calorie cooking spray
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 100g rindless lean bacon, all visible fat removed, chopped
- 400g extra lean minced beef
- 500g lean pork steaks, all visible fat removed, roughly chopped
- 1 level tsp Dijon mustard
- 4 large gherkins, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2tsp chopped thyme
- 4tbsp chopped parsley
- a pinch of grated nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- First make the jam. Dice half of the tomatoes. Place the remaining whole tomatoes in a food processor along with the garlic, red chillies and ginger and blend until roughly puréed.
- Pour the mixture into a deep heavy-based pan together with the sweetener and vinegar. Bring to the boil and stir slowly. Once the mixture has reached boiling point, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the remaining diced tomatoes and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring from time to time to prevent the jam sticking.
- Spoon the mixture into a warmed sterilised jar, seal while still warm and set aside to cool.
- To make the meatloaf, preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes, stirring often, until softened. Place in a fine sieve and press out any juices with the back of a spoon. Transfer to a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Sauté the bacon in the same pan over a medium heat, for 4-5 minutes or until crispy then add to the onion mixture.
- Add the minced beef, pork steaks, mustard, gherkins, egg, chopped herbs and nutmeg. Season, place in a blender and process until fairly smooth. Put in a 900g non-stick loaf tin and bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until firm. Drain away any juices from the tin. Leave the meatloaf in the tin for 1 hour then turn out onto a board. (The meatloaf can be covered and refrigerated at this stage.)
- Sprinkle the meatloaf with chopped parsley, cut into thick slices and serve with the tomato and chilli jam.
Syns per serving:
Extra Easy: Free
Extra Easy: Free
Share this recipe